State Deputy’s Quarterly Message
From the Desk of
Tom Burke (Wife: Cindy)
As we begin our new fraternal year, I would like you to join me in “Growing the Order” in West Virginia stronger, with all Councils active. I am blessed to have the honor to help lead us on this endeavor. I look back on my service as a Knight, beginning as a charter member of the Archbishop Fulton Sheen Council #7442 at Sacred Heart parish in Willow Springs, Missouri, and as your previous Membership Director, the Grand Knight of the Elkins Council and most recently as WV-State Secretary. I have been asked, why I joined the Knights, and I like many of you answer that question quickly saying to serve my parish and community, to grow in my faith with likeminded Catholic men and to protect my family. JoAnn and I look forward to the next two years to meet and visit with many of you and your Council members, to help strengthen our commitment to service and evangelization across the Mountain State. In growing, we need to recruit more men, we need our current Knights to become more active in programs and support of their Parish Priests and to grow individually in our faith and love of God and our fellow man.
The journey has begun as I was elected and then installed at St. Mary’s church in New Haven. The other State Officers will be installed at the organizational meeting in Elkins. Each District Deputy will install your new Council officers this summer. And then the fun begins with projects across the State, I hope to join you for some of your projects and invite you to join with some of the State-wide initiatives.
I hope to write a brief monthly letter “From the Desk of the State Deputy” to keep you informed on my journeys and the events and activities happening around the State. I will keep you informed on our progress in our strategic goals, membership, and upcoming opportunities.
Thus, let the journey begin:
• My State Pin asks St. Francis of Assisi to pray for us and make each of us “An instrument of Thy peace.”
• My first assignments were to appoint the District Deputies and State Chairmen, just as Councils do annually. I hope each of you reach-out to them for information on programs and growth.
• My first trip as WV-State Deputy-elect was to Supreme Officer in New Haven with JoAnn and our daughter-Cathy to be installed and share our vision of the year ahead with them.
• A second meeting in Elkins, the WV-State Organizational meeting for building our Leadership team, district deputy training and installing our State Officers.
• I hope to visit your Council, invite me to an event, I will try to make as many as I can, and keep you abreast of my journeys.
• This summer brings us the “Silver Rose Run” in later July, the feast of the patron Saint of Grandparents on July 29th and remembering Fr. Michael J. McGivney and Knights Family Week in early August.
After the Organization meeting, I hope your District Deputies and Councils schedule a District Meeting and I, along with them, will schedule several multi-district meetings to continue to encourage our growth to make West Virginia STRONG!
Worthy Grand Knights.
I hope that your are sake. please continue your precautions.
This is what is new.
1}Although our state convention is cancelled on-site this May in Elkins, Supreme is REQUIRING a virtual convention. This online or telephone convention will be held on Saturday May 16th starting at 9 AM
2)Supreme is testing programs this week and will inform us of which one to use next week.
3)The meeting will be basic. It will cover State officer reports, State Officer elections, Supreme Convention delegates, and resolutions. Other items normally taking place will be held until ORG meeting in July.
4)I have asked 3 Past State Deputies to act as an oversite committee to insure our convention and postponements are correct. They are Scott Nale, Darrell Capral, and Dick Sepkowski
I will keep you updated as soon as I hear anything else
Paul Niedbalski State Deputy